From Halal Food & Travel
Pekanbaru is the capital of Riau province in Indonesia. It is a centre of oil production. Pekanbaru has the reputation of being one of the cleanest big cities in Indonesia, and is the third largest city of the island of Sumatra after Medan and Palembang. The city is developing rapidly, but still has much unique architecture with a taste of Malay culture.
- 1 Travel as a Muslim to Pekanbaru
- 2 How to get around in Pekanbaru
- 3 What to see in Pekanbaru
- 4 Top Muslim Travel Tips for Pekanbaru
- 5 Muslim Friendly Shopping in Pekanbaru
- 6 Halal Restaurants in Pekanbaru
- 7 Muslim Friendly Hotels in Pekanbaru
- 8 Consulates in Pekanbaru
- 9 Explore more Halal Friendly Destinations from Pekanbaru
Travel as a Muslim to Pekanbaru
Buy a Flight ticket to and from Pekanbaru
- Sultan Syarif Kasim II International Airport IATA Code: PKU - Serves frequent domestic flights by all major Indonesian airlines to and from Jakarta (both Soekarno-Hatta and Halim airports), Medan, and Batam, and to a lesser extent from Bandung, Surabaya, Yogyakarta, Palembang, and Tanjung Pinang. In addition, the airport sees flights to other cities in the province and surrounding areas, such as Dumai and Jambi. There are also direct international flights from Kuala Lumpur (operated by AirAsia), Malacca (Malindo Air) and Singapore (Jetstar and SilkAir).
Book a Halal Cruise or Boat Tour in Pekanbaru
From inside Indonesia
- To Riau Islands: Several companies operate ferries to Sekupang, Batam. Most ferries make a stop at Tanjung Balai on Karimun Island as well as Tanjung Buton and Selat Panjang in Riau.
UPDATE: To/From Batam. The way to travel between the Riau Islands and Pekanbaru now involves a 3hr minivan ride and a 3-6 hour ferry. Tickets can be purcahased at the Sungai Duku port in Pekanbaru for the mini-van and ferry combination ticket. The minivan picks you up at your hotel, picks up the rest of the passengers, and then drives to the ferry dock in Tanjung Buton, about 3.5 hours away. Then you wait a bit until the ferry comes. The ferry comes, you pay a 1000Rp terminal fee, and then board the ferry. Pekanbaru-Tanjung Balai ticket cost 265000 on March 26, 2011.
From/To Malacca :
No ferries travel from/to Malacca anymore. You must catch the ferry in Dumai.
How to get around in Pekanbaru
There are Mikrolet (Share taxi), Bus, Ojek (Motorcycle taxi), and Taxi. The new mode is Trans Metro Pekanbaru. It is like Trans Jakarta Busway in Jakarta. Wednesday have to buy the ticket first at their bus stop, one way fare is IDR 4.000. It's still on going project by Pemko Pekanbaru.
Bus terminal AKAP is located 5km from town. From bus station to town there are many public buses that stop at pre-determined stops. Tickets cost IDR 4000 and can be purchased inside the bus stop from a ticket agent.
What to see in Pekanbaru
Pekanbaru is not like Jakarta, Yogyakarta, Bali or Bukittinggi. Pekanbaru is not a tourist destination for either Indonesians or foreigners, but does have some interesting buildings and places to visit, including some distinctive buildings constructed by local government:
- Sang Nila Utama Museum | Museum about culture and heritage in Riau. The one and only museum in Pekanbaru
- Idrus Tintin (MTQ) Building | A great building with Malay and modern architecture. One of the city's landmark. Some great events held here from Musabaqah Tilawatil Qur'an (MTQ) to Indonesian Film Festival
- Great Mosque of An-Nur | The largest mosque in Pekanbaru. One of the city's landmark. This mosque is located just opposite to Great HKBP Church.
- Great Mosque of Pekanbaru | The oldest mosque in Pekanbaru. Built at the time of Siak Sultanate.
- Soeman H.S. County Library | The largest library in Sumatra. Great building with Malay-modern architecture.
- Kampung Tionghoa Melayu (Chinatown) | The city's little chinatown. Chinese New Year festival held here
- Labersa Water Park | Water park, golf course, 5-star hotel and convention centre.
- Limbungan Reservoir Park | Popular just to people from other regencies and towns in Riau province.
- Alam Mayang Park | Popular just to people from other regencies and towns in Riau province.
Top Muslim Travel Tips for Pekanbaru
- Play golf | Pekanbaru Golf Course Country Club at Kubang, Simpang Tiga Golf Course at Simpang Tiga, Labersa Golf Course at Labersa and Rumbai Golf Course at Rumbai Chevron Camp
Muslim Friendly Shopping in Pekanbaru
There are three major malls in Pekanbaru. The two best are Mall SKA and Mall Ciputra Seraya. The older Mall Pekanbaru is not as well appointed as the other two but is still a good mall and offer a decent selection of restaurants. The location of the three malls are locally well known so getting there shouldn't be a problem. There are several other less interesting malls in Pekanbaru, some are closer to an indoor market then a mall and are great places for bargains.
- Mall Pekanbaru | Mega Dept. Store, Lucky Mart,Gramedia Book Store, Handphone Centre, Solaria, Bakso Lapangan Tembak, Ikan Bakar Cianjur, KFC, Bread Boutique, MP Club.
- Plaza Senapelan | Suzuya Dept. Store, D'cost Seafood Restaurant, A&W.
- Plaza Sukaramai | Ramayana Dept. Store, Trade Centre, Market.
- Pasar Bawah - Pasar Wisata/Tourist Market | You can find souvenirs, traditional foods and snacks, traditional products, and import products.
- Mall SKA | You can find Matahari Dept. Store, Hypermart, Pizza Hut, A&W, Popeyes, J.CO Donuts and Coffee, BreadTalk, Excelsior, RotiBoy, Solaria, Rice Bowl, KFC, Disc Tarra, Electronic Centre, Billiard Centre.
- Mall Ciputra Seraya | You can find Matahari Dept. Store, Food Mart, KFC, Texas Chicken, A&W, Pizza Hut, Solaria, Rice Bowl, J.CO Donuts and Coffee, New Zealand Natural Ice Cream, Bakso Lapangan Tembak, Disc Tarra, Time Zone. Riau21 (a branch of 21 bioskop) is located here.
- Plaza Citra | Matahari Dept. Store, Mister Bakso, Timezone.
- Metropolitan City (MTC) | You can find Giants Hypermarket.Kentucky fried chicken and solaria restaurant.
- Panam Square | Ramayana Dept. Store.
- Fiji Tours and Travel - you can find cheapest domestic and international air ticket, local car rental and inbound tour
Halal Restaurants in Pekanbaru
- Durian at durian stalls along Jl. Sudirman |Famous for Nyonya food, lots of choices.One of the oldest Kedai Kopi in PekanBaru
- Restoran Taman Anggrek - If your taxi driver can find it, good Chinese and Indonesian food. The chili garlic crab is excellent and if the matriarch is there the service is excellent. There's also Anom Restaurant at Anom Hotel on Jl. Gatot Subroto, they have the same owner. Whatever food you find on Restoran Anom Taman Anggrek, you also can find at Anom Restaurant.
- Koki Sunda | Sundanese restaurant.
- Minang Soto | Famous for the Soto Padang. There are two restaurants with a same name in the street. Recommended is the one in a shophouse.
- Pondok Samba Lado Hijau | The speciality here is Fish, infused with Minangkabau/Malay style.
- RM Kota Buana | Minangkabau restaurant. Famous for their Rendang and Cincang Kambing.
- Pondok Gurih | When you enter this restaurant, the staff will hit the Gong at the entrance.
- Bumbu Desa | Sundanese restaurant.
- Riau Kuring | Located behind VanSquare.
- Tenda Biru | Famous for Mie Aceh (Aceh Noodles)
- Ayam Goreng Suharti | Famous for its Javanese fried chicken and Yogyakarta food such as gudeg and sambal krecek.
Muslim Friendly Hotels in Pekanbaru
Online booking for hotels in Pekanbaru is not available, except for high end hotels as listed below.
- Grand Elite Hotel - Grand Elite Hotel Pekanbaru is the first Business Hotel in Pekanbaru. Located in the heart of Pekanbaru's China Town in Komplek Riau Business Center at Jalan Riau in the Tampan District, a well-known entertainment area.
- Premiere Hotel | New and chic hotel in town, 4 star, spacious rooms.
- Aston Pekanbaru City Hotel - 3-star Boutique business hotel with an ultramodern theme. One of the few Pekanbaru hotels that offer online booking via eHalal Hotels.
- Hotel Aryaduta | 5-star. Reasonable rates with special discounts during the weekend. Superior room starts from IDR550,000 per night (inclusive of a buffet breakfast). The hotel has a nice swimming pool and soccer field.
- Jatra Hotel - 4-star hotel. Inside the biggest mall (Mall Pekanbaru), has special services such as Traditional Massage, Sauna and Health club. This Hotel is connected directly to first class entertainment in Pekanbaru, such as Hugo's Cafe, Karaoke club, and KTV. Satisfaction guaranteed.
- Grand Hawaii Hotel Pekanbaru - Modern hotel featuring an outdoor garden, private balcony and walking distance to Mall Pekanbaru and Pasar Pusat Pekanbaru.
- Hotel Grand Zuri Pekanbaru | 4-star hotel directly opposite Mall Pekanbaru and next door to Plaza Senapelan. 24 hour coffee shop, Karaoke Bar, Taurus Health Club and outdoor pool on the 8th Floor.
- Labersa Grand Hotel & Convention Center - 5 Star. Possibly the most luxurious hotel in Pekanbaru. 10 minutes from the airport. This hotel is one compound with Labersa Golf Course and Labersa Water Park.
- Hotel Pangeran Pekanbaru - 4-star. Located near Pizza Hut, opposite Martin Boutique and Durian stalls.
- Furaya Hotel - One of the more well known hotels in Pekanbaru for Chinese Wedding Receptions. Located near the Pasar Buah Pekanbaru (Pekanbaru Fruit Market).
- Hotel Ibis Pekanbaru - 3-star. The only Accord hotel in Pekanbaru.
- Anom Hotel | The original famous Anom Restaurant is located in this hotel, they have now opened a branch on Taman Anggrek.
- Aziza Hotel | 3-star. A modern Islamic hotel in Pekanbaru.
- Sabrina Hotel - Modern budget hotel for Muslim travellers. Includes free WiFi, air con, tv and water
- Pelangi Hotel | Modern budget hotel managed by Grand Zuri.
Consulates in Pekanbaru
- Malaysia Consulate | Phone +62 761 22-305
- Singapore Consulate | Phone +62 761 41-010
Explore more Halal Friendly Destinations from Pekanbaru
- Muara Takus Temple, an ancient Buddhist temple from ancient Srivijaya Kingdom.
- Dumai, a little port and beach town.
- West Sumatra, the Land of Minangkabau culture. - Padang, only 6 hours drive, Bukittinggi 4.5 Hours drive.
- North Sumatra, the Land of Batak culture, lake, waterfalls, mountains, and orangutans.
- Batam Island, beach resort island. Popular to many Singaporeans.
- Bintan Island, beach resort island. Popular to many Singaporeans.
- Kuala Lumpur and Malacca in Malaysia.
Copyright 2015 - 2023. All Rights reserved by eHalal Group Co., Ltd.