Bihac Halal Travel Guide
Bihać municipality occupies an area of 900 km2 with around 70,000 citizens people. Since ancient times, the geographic position and favorable climate conditions have been suitable for settling in this region. Although the research based upon excavations and numerous remains has only been done recently, it revealed the presence of humans in the Older Stone Age, Late Bronze Age, Late and Early Iron Age. Presence of the Japodes tribe in this area has certainly been proved. The Japodes culture marked Bihać by its extraordinary values and ancient inheritance. It began with building solutions for houses on stilts, jewelry made of bronze, iron, silver and the “Japodes horseman”. The archeological findings from many places like Bihać, Golubić, Pritoka and Ripač indicate the specific characteristics of the Illyrian culture in the Japodes area.
The Una River has defined Bihać, the city and municipality for centuries. The waterfalls in Štrbački buk and Martinbrod are widely known. A valley near the Una headwaters, and the upper Una River valley are a national park since 2008. Every summer Bihać hosts the Una Regatta coupled with many cultural events.
Fly to Bihać
Bihać is located only 17 km from the Croatian border, which gives a favorable geographic location, proximity to major cities in Europe. Bihać can be reached by plane, through Croatian territory, the airport in Zagreb, which is located 170 km, about 3 hours drive by car from the town of Bihać. If you decide to come through the airport of Sarajevo, Bihać is located 350 km, about 4 hours drive that leads through Travnik, Jajce, Mrkonjic Grad, Kljuca and in Bihać, which gives you a unique opportunity to explore areas of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Travel to Bihać by car
Bihać can be reached by car from all European directions, regardless if coming from West, East, North or South. If arriving from the west of Europe, all major roads to Bihać lead through Croatia, Slovenia and Austria. If arriving from the North you pass through Croatia, the East from Serbia, or the directions of Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria respectively. Coming from the South requires a trip on a ferry that goes across Italy to Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Sightseeing in Bihać
- Una National Park. opening hours vary per season. This large and relatively new national park protects the area around the Una river. It has many waterfalls, hiking trails and even a few villages amongst a rich fauna and flora. You can enter the park via six different entrances. Be sure to check the map and details on the website, or at the tourist information center in the center of Bihać. The entrance closest to Bihać is called Gorjevac. Štrbacki Buk 6 kuna, Martin Brod 2 kuna. Free if your name is Una.
Where to stay in Bihać
- Accommodation Hanka, Ćehajića Mahala 1. Few minutes away from bus and railway station 50 kuna double/30 single.
- Hostel Una Rosa, Krupska 28. The only hostel in Bihac, three rooms in a cozy house right on the river Una. Dorm €12, Double €25.
- Hotel Park, Petog korpusa 3 (in the town Centre next to the park). The hotel is equipped with a bar, conference room that can seat 250 people, pizza restaurant and regular restaurant, pavement cafe (seats 300 persons), and a guarded parking lot 60 double, 35 single.
- Hotel Sedra, Ostrožac na Uni (left bank of the river Una in the direction of Cazin (12 km from Bihac and Cazin)). Single, standard double rooms and suites offering up to 180 beds. Two restaurants, bar, as well as sports terrains and recreational facilities. Vicinity of the surrounding mountains and the river provides a magnificent view.
- Hotel Opal Exclusive, Krupska bb. 20 double, 2 triple, 3 single rooms and one suite called „Una“. All rooms are air-conditioned, equipped with cable TV, internet and mini bar. Hotel premises include the restaurant „Obala“ with 120 seats and terrace next to the bank of the river Una. 76 double, 51 single.
Cross the border to Croatia and visit the famous Plitvice Lakes National Park, or go further into Bosnia-Herzegovina toward Banja Luka and Sarajevo.